Hi,
  I am trying to connect using s_client, it works fine
for a couple of hours and after that I keep getting this error
message.

$ openssl s_client -ssl3 -connect IP_NUMBER:PORT(443)
CONNECTED(00000003)
depth=0 /CN=XYZ 7FDA7830/O=XYZ Co./OU=000E7FDA7830/OU=AS961A
3REJ7961A
verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 /CN=XYZ 7FDA7830/O=XYZ /OU=000E7FDA7830/OU=AS961A
3REJ7
verify return:1
1608:error:140943FC:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad
record mac:s3_pkt.c:1031:SSL alert number 20
1608:error:1409E0E5:SSL routines:SSL3_WRITE_BYTES:ssl handshake
failure:s3_pkt.c:514:

I am using the hardware engine. I had sent a mail sometime back asking
why the engine is not getting enabled by default. Well I did manage to
get a solution.
When using the engine from application point of view, you do require
to set the default engine from the application code, but when your
engine has to come up
and be set as default, then you have to set your engine functions as
default by using the API ENGINE_set_default_RSA(ENGINE *e) and the
same goes for all
the functions that are to be done using the hardware. This is mainly
intended for stand alone applications. Also even before the openssl
comes up, you have to call the ENGINE_load_builtin_engines which
initializes  the engine tables with the available engines and during
this phase when you make a call to the bind_helper you have to set
which engine is going to be your default implementation after binding
the function pointers through the API ENGINE_set_default_RSA or what
ever you need to set as default. The reason for calling the
ENGINE_load_builtin_engines before your openssl comes up is, because,
when you don't initialize your engine and set it as default, the
openssl code takes the software implementation as default. So it is as
safe implementation if you can do that in the start.
Hope the above info helps. And some one please advice me about the
above error...

--
Thank you,
Best Regards