Hello,
> > David,
> > Please post a link to a manpage or other documentation that
> > justifies your
> > description of select.
>
>       I posted a link to the SuSv2 description of 'select'. There is no
> guarantee
> there that a future operation will not block.
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/select.html
You posted link to short document from 1997. This document does not
discuss may of select() facts and this does not mean that they
do not exists.

Maybe we should look on other papers, for example part of select(2)
man page from hpux 11.23:

Ttys and sockets are ready for reading or writing, respectively, if a
read() or write() would not block for one or more of the following
reasons:
    +  input data is available.
    +  output data can be accepted.
    +  an error condition exists, such as a broken pipe,
       no carrier, or a lost connection.

More, this statement already exists in hpux 10.0 (documentation
from 1995).

And of course this may change if two threads will use in parallel
one socket in the Bermuda Triangle, but this is not that case.

Best regards,
--
Marek Marcola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>