httpd's scripts are known to the autoconf community as gross bastardizations
of intent of autoconf, so forwared ;-)  But they do illustrate verifying the
version of openssl, take a look at APACHE_CHECK_SSL_TOOLKIT in;

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/acinclude.m4

Matt England wrote:
My project's code is apparently compatible with OpenSSL 0.9.7g (and possibly higher) but not 0.9.8 (because the header file changed from 0.9.7 and 0.9.8...which seems rather undesirable).

In any case, I'd like our autoconf macros to be able to automatically check to see if 0.9.7g and higher is installed (but 0.9.8 or higher). Does anyone have a recommendation for how to do this?

-Matt

.