On Mon, Jul 03, 2006, snacktime wrote:

> Well I figured out what's happening.  The reason windows was
> complaining about the certificate is that the subjectkeyidentifier was
> getting set to the same value as authoritykeyidentifier.  Firefox
> didn't pick up on this, but windows did.    I was creating the
> subjectkeyidentifier before the subject was set.  Now why openssl
> inserted the authoritykeyidentifier for the subjectkeyidentifier I'm
> not sure.  My best guess is that it got in a state where it thought
> the certificate was self signed?

That would explain it. MSIE considers the SKID/AKID (if present) as the
primary way to process certificate chains. OpenSSL uses subject and issuer
names first then SKID/AKID. Firefox may either ignore SKID/AKID or just use it
as a (non mandatory) hint.

The value OpenSSL uses for AKID depends on the configuration file and the
supplied V3 context. Also see the FAQ for details about AKID: many people have
asked in the past why it is set to an "incorrect" value.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.