It might be the 2048 bit DSA cert it doesn't like. Try with a 1024 bit DSA key
or a 2048 bit RSA key.

Yup, that seems to be the problem, it didn't like 2048 bit DSA keys.
It is happy with 1024 bit DSA keys and 2048 bit RSA keys.

I'm creating the certs for an embedded security device that could
easily have a >15 year life and typically won't have an internet
connection, so I want to make sure that I'm using enough bits to cover
the life of the device. I guess I'll go with 2048 bit RSA keys.

                    Thanks,
                    Clem