Victor B. Wagner wrote:
> RFC 2511 defines ASN.1 syntax for putting  multiple certificate request
> into one message:
> [..]
> Question is - how widespread is use of this syntax, is there any
> real-world CA which understand CertReqMessages sequence.

There are several PKI implementations which support CMP/CRMF (e.g.
Entrust). At the client side I vaguely remember that it was added to
Netscape 6.x. Not sure whether it's still actively maintained in
Mozilla/Firefox etc. Note that CRMF is most times profiled in a
vendor-/project-specific way.

> It seems simple enough to support this syntax above openssl binary in
> the scripts which process incoming requests.
>
> But is this really
> neccessary, or there are good sequirity reasons to require people which
> write key generation software to process each certificate request as
> separate entity, even if several keys (say signature key and key
> encipherment key) are generated simultaneously?

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Implement a CA component which
can deal with any enrollment protocol implemented in clients on earth?

Ciao, Michael.