The difficulty for the end user here is that the little lock icon is
overloaded: it is taken to mean both "session is secured against
spying" AND "session is with a trusted partner".  One could argue that
this confounds authentication (verifying the cert.) and authorization
(asserting trust of the target site).  One could also argue that end
users should know better than to read it that way, but the UI is just
too simple to do the job required and the protocol hasn't been
supplying all the information that the user really wants.

The CA and browser folk (http://www.cabforum.org/forum.html) have been
working on that and are about to roll out a fix, which they're calling
Extended Validation.  It looks like, for more money you get a
certificate which certifies more about you such as your business'
real-world name, and compliant browsers will display the additional
information when you connect.  This begins to pry off one of the two
meanings of the lock.  It is at least an interesting attempt.

Maybe after a while we'll get browsers which allow us to craft
explicit trust lists, so that we can have a little smiley-face or
something next to the lock which indicates "you have explicitly told
me to trust this object".

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he