Which platform you're using? I tried openssl 0.9.8d in Fedora 3, the same problem occurs.
Then I tried it on Cygwin (the same zip contents), everything work just fine

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:Creating CA problem
From: Jeppe Bundsgaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 05:02:34 GMT+0800

Hi
I have the same problem. I have tried to deinstall and reinstall openssl
(and manually deleting misc where CA.pl is located) - but I still get the
error. What shall I do to get the newer version of CA.pl?
Regards
Jeppe
MaciekZ wrote:
Thx it works pretty fine now.
Thx for your help

Best regards
Maciek

MaciekZ wrote:
Hello everyone :)

I have a problem with creating CA with CA.pl script

Whenever I run ./CA-.pl -newca everything works fine until the script
displays unknown option -create_serial
%cd /usr/local/openssl/misc/
%./CA.pl -newca

CA certificate filename (or enter to create)

Making CA certificate ...
Generating a 1024 bit RSA private key
.........++++++
........++++++
writing new private key to './demoCA/private/cakey.pem'
Enter PEM pass phrase:
Verifying - Enter PEM pass phrase:
-----
You are about to be asked to enter information that will be incorporated
into your certificate request.
What you are about to enter is what is called a Distinguished Name or a
DN.
There are quite a few fields but you can leave some blank
For some fields there will be a default value,
If you enter '.', the field will be left blank.
-----
Country Name (2 letter code) [AU]:PL
State or Province Name (full name) [Some-State]:Slaskie
Locality Name (eg, city) []:Katowice
Organization Name (eg, company) [Internet Widgits Pty Ltd]:Dom
Organizational Unit Name (eg, section) []:WR
Common Name (eg, YOUR name) []:Maciek
Email Address []:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please enter the following 'extra' attributes
to be sent with your certificate request
A challenge password []:
An optional company name []:
unknown option -create_serial
usage: ca args

 -verbose        - Talk alot while doing things
 -config file    - A config file
 -name arg       - The particular CA definition to use
 -gencrl         - Generate a new CRL
 -crldays days   - Days is when the next CRL is due
 -crlhours hours - Hours is when the next CRL is due
 -startdate YYMMDDHHMMSSZ  - certificate validity notBefore
 -enddate YYMMDDHHMMSSZ    - certificate validity notAfter (overrides
-days)
 -days arg       - number of days to certify the certificate for
 -md arg         - md to use, one of md2, md5, sha or sha1
 -policy arg     - The CA 'policy' to support
 -keyfile arg    - private key file
 -keyform arg    - private key file format (PEM or ENGINE)
 -key arg        - key to decode the private key if it is encrypted
 -cert file      - The CA certificate
 -in file        - The input PEM encoded certificate request(s)
 -out file       - Where to put the output file(s)
 -outdir dir     - Where to put output certificates
 -infiles ....   - The last argument, requests to process
 -spkac file     - File contains DN and signed public key and challenge
 -ss_cert file   - File contains a self signed cert to sign
 -preserveDN     - Don't re-order the DN
 -noemailDN      - Don't add the EMAIL field into certificate' subject
 -batch          - Don't ask questions
 -msie_hack      - msie modifications to handle all those universal
strings
 -revoke file    - Revoke a certificate (given in file)
 -subj arg       - Use arg instead of request's subject
 -extensions ..  - Extension section (override value in config file)
 -extfile file   - Configuration file with X509v3 extentions to add
 -crlexts ..     - CRL extension section (override value in config file)
 -engine e       - use engine e, possibly a hardware device.
 -status serial  - Shows certificate status given the serial number
 -updatedb       - Updates db for expired certificates

when I used CA.sh -newca the script insted of unknown option
-create_serial  dislayed unknown options -selfsign

I didn't make any changes in files CA.pl CA.sh and openssl.cnf. What
should I change in order to cretate CA ??
Should I modify something?

I'm using FreeBSD 6.0 RELASE #p15 with custom kernel and openssl-0.9.8d
instaled form ports

Thx for your time and help

With regards

Maciek