Hello,

I have got a question concerning the command openssl req -newkey rsa:bits ….
which I use for creating a self-signed certificate for my small private CA.
Some time ago I used the command like this with OpenSSL 0.9.7g (on Suse
10.0):
openssl req –x509 –newkey rsa –out cacert.pem –outform PEM
As you can see I did it without giving the bit-size because of the following
section in my openssl.cnf:
[ req ]
default_bits = 2048

A few days ago I wanted to built up my CA on a different computer (Suse 10.2
with OpenSSL 0.9.8d). I did everything as I was used to. But this time I had
to add the bit-size although I used the default_bits option again in my
openssl.cnf:
openssl req -x509 –newkey rsa:2048 –out cacert.pem –outform PEM

As you can see there is no real problem as long as everything works as I
want but I would like to know why I have to add the bit-size with the new
version of OpenSSL. Is it a feature/fault of the version? Can the same be
observed with a newer version? (I know that I could test it on my own with a
newer version but I don`t want to because everything works quiet fine right
now.)

Of course I took a look into the news and the changelog on
http://www.openssl.org/news/news.html but I wasn’t able to find an answer
for my question. So I hope that somebody in this forum can help me.

Best regards
domi