On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 08:34:56PM -0700, Jim Fox wrote:

> This was a certificate authority certificate.  As such, the renewal has to
> have
> the same key and DN as the original in order to continue being a CA
> for previously signed certificates.

Further, it won't be a trust root until it's distributed and the
recipients are satisfied that it is legitimate.  And I think that's
the real question:

  When my CA's certificate expires, can I update it without having to
  deliver copies securely to everyone who is supposed to trust my CA?

The answer to *that* question had better be "NO".  It truly doesn't
matter whether you made a new certificate or updated the old one,
because in either case you must distribute it again in a trustworthy
manner or nobody will trust it.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he