Kyle Hamilton wrote:
The FIPS certification process is a black box.  Literally, it will be
complete when it will be complete, and we can't know until it goes
into final recommendation phase (which is usually the last step before
NIST grants the certification).
If I had to make a guess I'd say I'm hoping for late June or early July, expecting something in August, resigned to September :-). We're a little over a month into the "aging in an in-box" phase, and the grapevine says the backlog is currently running 2-3 months. On the other hand one uncomplicated validation I worked on recently took a full year when the backlog was supposedly also only a few months; one never knows.

As Kyle noted, usually the CMVP has a few questions or requirements when the submission makes it out of the in-box and is actually under review, at which point we know approval is probably only a few days or weeks away, and at which point I'll make a heads-up announcement.

If it makes anyone feel any better, take it from me that there are other government validation/certification processes that are slower, more difficult, and more pointless than FIPS 140-2.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
Open Source Software institute