Geoff Thorpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> Has this ever been (in recent history) an issue within a given
> release branch?  Ie. has 0.9.8(n+1) ever broken apps that were
> running ok against 0.9.8n?  0.9.8x is of course not backwards
> compatible with 0.9.7y, and 0.9.9 will not be backwards compatible
> with 0.9.8 either. But that's why (reputable) distros allow these
> branches to coexist and be upgraded independently.

I suspect an application using PKCS12_create and passing a non-NULL
name will segfault on 0.9.8h.  (I confess I've not actually tried
that---I've only tried with an application built against 0.9.8h.)

However, I guess (presuming the problem really exists, and I didn't
mess up somehow) that's more a bug than a binary incompatibility.

0.9.8g (IIRC) broke source compatibility in the sense that at least
some C++ compilers don't accept some of the headers.