I get the message unsupported methods from ssl_accept() bio_read. I
    get this message from my server when I try to connect using openssl
    s_client. Any suggestions?
     Steve

It is possible to implement STARTTLS with OpenSSL.

This is where you connect your server on port 25 using unencrypted. Issue the "EHLO" and then "STARTTLS" commands.

At the client CAREFULLY eat the response a byte at a time so you suck the response and the "\r\n" end-of-line.

Then you initialize OpenSSL with the socket.

It is possible and it does work.

I have seen the mode in s_client I'm sure that works too.

Maybe it would be easier to implement "smtps" on port 465. This is direct SSL on the socket (much like HTTPS on port 443), if you can successfully implement this and get it working then work on the more tricky STARTTLS support.

You didn't really say a lot about your problem ?

If your problem with "s_client" tool ?

If your problem with your implementation of an SMTP server with STARTTLS support ?

The problem is with the SMTP server STARTTLS code. I know how to make the entire transaction work with SSL. Problem is that the openssl s_client is asking for some method I do not have programmed. But I don't know what that is. I have examined sendmail and my openssl code seems correct. The transaction fails when the client starts tlsmode and the ssl_accept() fails.

Steve