I have the same problem with my client Openssl application. The server side is MS IIS. And all other parties use Microsoft based clients and have no such problems.
It seems that a client side is a source of trouble not a server side.

Suggestions from anyone are welcome.

Hi,

I have an SSL server handling many clients successfully using
openssl-0.9.8e. From time to time however, there are some clients that fail
to connect to it. Debugging shows that the problem happens when the client
attempts the first SSL_read, which unexpectedly returns 0.

Checking then for the SSL error shows that it has the value
SSL_ERROR_ZERO_RETURN. According to the SSL documentation this should happen
only if the SSL connection has been closed. I do know that my server is not
closing it since it is handling many other clients correctly, I also know
that for the clients facing this problem, the handshake phase is done
correctly.... it is only when the first SSL_read happens that somehow the
connection is dropped.... I have no idea why if anyone can help me.

Thanks