Greetings.

I have recently done some testing with OpenSSL versions 0.9.8i and 0.9.8j.
Basically, the application is opening 10,000 connections between a client and
server on the same Linux machine.  I've noticed quite a difference in memory
utilization when monitered with the top command.

0.9.8i will show an increase in memory from before the connections being opened
to after of maybe 1-2 GB.  (The system has 32 GB available)  With 0.9.8j, from
before the connections being opened to after, an increase of 12+ GB is
observed.  This is quite a difference, and may be causing some problems.  At
one point, the program seg faulted with a "double free or corruption" error.  I
can  not reproduce this consistently, however.

Everything runs well with version 0.9.8i.  I'm wondering if anyone might know
what is responsible for the significant difference in memory usage between the
two versions?  I have done some searching, and found one issue with a memory
leak in version 0.9.8j:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.openssl.devel/14996

But I don't think this is what I am seeing.

From the CHANGES log, I noticed that TLS extensions are enabled by default in
0.9.8j, but don't know if that's the reason for the increase in memory usage.

Thanks in advance.