This has to do with padding, which is at least 1 byte, and always
ensures input + padding is an integer multiple of the block size.
Hence 8 input + 1 byte minimum padding ==> 8 bytes input + 8 bytes padding.

See what happens when you feed it, for instance, 5 bytes of input:
resulting file should be 8 bytes (des3 blocksize = 8)

2009/4/3 José Hidalgo C. <jhidal...@gmail.com>:
> Hi:
>
> I'm using the openssl and EVP_EncryptInit_ex, EVP_EncryptUpdate,
> EVP_EncryptFinal_ex sequence to encrypt a a short message with 3des-cbc, but
> i get an strange  problem. I expect if the data size is 8 bytes, the
> encrypted data lenght is 8 bytes too, but i get 16 bytes. If the data size
> is 16 bytes, the encrypted data length is 24 bytes. I'm sure that the data
> size is 8 bytes, or 16 bytes, but i never get the expeted results, somebody
> know why?
> The command used in openssl:
>
> openssl des3 -iv 1234567812345678 -K
> 0123456789ABCDEFFEDCBA98765432100123456789ABCDEF  -in claro.txt -out
> claro.bin
>
> ls -l show 8 bytes in claro.txt, and 16 bytes in claro.bin
>
> When i use the EVP_EncryptUpdate function, the strlen show 8 bytes in the
> text message.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> José Hidalgo C.
> Ingeniero de Software
> Akzio Consultores - http://www.akzio.cl
> Huérfanos 669 of. 609 - Santiago
> Ofi:(+56)(2)6320567 - Cel:(+56)(9)88377088

Ger Hobbelt