On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 13:45, john blair wrote:
>> dont link static libraries into shared libraries and it isnt a problem
>
> Ya that is true. But, I do want to link the static library to the shared
> library.

linking static libraries into a shared library is wrong.  maybe
someone else will help you create a PIC static library, but i wont.
sorry.

>> pic adds a lot of overhead with x86 due to register pressure
>
> Can you point me to link or something that discusses this in more detail?

google for it.  pic on x86 removes ebx from general register usage.
while your .so will have textrels and thus prevent sharing of the text
region, openssl will run faster.
-mike