You must download the openssl-fips.1.2.0.tar.gz package, and follow
the instructions in the companion Security Policy *precisely*.  That
is the only package that can build a fipscanister.o.

Once the fipscanister.o exists and is installed properly, then you can
build with the fips option.  Not before.

And to fix the fips problem in your source tree: 'make clean'

-Kyle H