<snip>
> > From: owner-openssl-users On Behalf Of asc123
> >
> > I'm getting a segv when trying to run CA.pl/.sh to create a rootCA:
<snip>
> > unknown option -create_serial
<snip ca usage message>
> > ./CA.sh: line 197: 10495 Segmentation fault      $CA
> > -create_serial -out
> > ${CATOP}/$CACERT $CADAYS -batch -keyfile
> > ${CATOP}/private/$CAKEY -selfsign
> > -extensions v3_ca -infiles ${CATOP}/$CAREQ
> >
> > I tried removing the -create_serial option and then it
> > complains about the
> > -selfsign option.  Removed that too - but it just errors out,
> > never creating
> > my root ca cert.
> >
> > Any one encountered this before?  Happens with openssl
> > 0.9.8m/1.0.0 on suse
> > linux 9.
>
> if you check the error message, you see that there is neither
> a -create_serial option nor a -selfsign option, so I guess
> it's no surprise that openssl complains. The absence of
> -selfsign is a bit weird, as this option is definitely
> available in v0.9.8 and v1.0.0, but you've got more bugs in

ca actually has -create_serial and -selfsign since 0.9.8
[11 Oct 2005] according to the changefile, they're just not
in the usage/help display.

> your invocation. Also, try replacing your variables by their
> values and check the content of your input files. Do you have
> a proper configuration file with all the necessary content?

OP says s/he is using CA.sh or .pl, presumably the ones
distributed in apps, which should be a valid invocation --
and it looks reasonable to me by eye, and works when tried.
The last error quoted, apparently from bash*, cites CA.sh,
but line 197 -- long after the ca invocation in 0.9.8m,n
and 1.0.0beta4+, and far outside the file earlier. Unless
the OP or a packager upstream did some significant editing
-- which is possible, it is just a shell script after all.
Also the linebreaks are odd and unexpected; I'm hoping
that was just a copy&paste or posting artifact.
* on the Linuxes I have, #!/bin/sh actually gets bash

If the OP is getting an old (0.9.7?) commandline, due to
the new version (package?) not being installed correctly
and/or early enough in the $PATH, that would explain the
rejected option(s) but not the segv. After a usage error,
it exits without reading configfile; and even if it did
and the file is bad, it should print a message, not segv.

To OP: in your shell 'which openssl' will check which executable
you are getting, and 'openssl version -a' will tell some things
about it including its default location for the configfile.
Are these new versions packages you are installing, and how?
Or did you build from source, and if so with what options
and in particular where did or should it install?