On Thu, Jun 10, 2010, Lutz Jaenicke wrote:

> i'm installing openssl-0.9.8l on freebsd 8.0. It complains about the
> following:
>
> making all in crypto/ui...
> making all in crypto/krb5...
> making all in crypto/store...
> making all in crypto/pqueue...
> making all in fips...
> make: don't know how to make /usr/local/ssl/fips-1.0/lib/fipscanister.o.
> Stop *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-0.9.8l/fips.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/security/openssl/work/openssl-0.9.8l.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/security/openssl.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/security/openssl.
>
> I googled but have not found any help with the error yet. I read the
> README file and it said all bugs could be reported to this email address.
> i'm sure if its a bug though. i need help to complete the installation.

If you want the FIPS module you need to install it first according to the
security policy.

If you don't want the FIPS module you should not include the 'fip' option when
you configure OpenSSL.

You are advised to use OpenSSL 0.9.8o instead: it is more recent and a number
of issues have been addressed in it.

Steve.