I am seeing a very slow initialization on a single Windows 2003 box with
openssl-0.9.8l.

During initialization the function RAND_screen gets called.  This
effectively hashes the frame buffer to generate entropy.  In our case we
are running as an IIS user and I'm not even sure what screen it's
getting.

This function takes on the order of 3 seconds.

We have other identical boxes which are behaving correctly and a single
box which is very slow.

Two questions.
1. It appears that this is deprecated so would it be reasonable to
simply remove it?

2. Does anyone have any idea why this function is misbehaving?

--
BRIAN MAKIN
Senior Software Engineer

Vivisimo [Search Done Rightâ„¢]