Hi,

The problem you are encountering is partly caused by the way OpenSSL handles integers whose DER encoded value starts with one or more zeros : in this case, OpenSSL removes the leading zero when creating the corresponding ASN1_INTEGER structure thus leading to the fact that computed DER of this structure and the original one will be different!!

In your case, the certificate you are trying to verify has a DER encoded serial number "00 00 65". So, OpenSSL will create an ASN1_INTEGER with a value of "00 65". And in the course of the certificate signature verification, this structure will be encoded to DER which will lead to a encoded value of "00 65". Thus, the generated DER of the CertInfo will be different from the original one, which explains why the signature verification fails.

After some digging, I found that part of the problem is caused by the functions c2i_ASN1_INTEGER and d2i_ASN1_UINTEGER in file crypto\asn1\a_int.c. At lines 244 and 314, there is an if block that removes any leading zeros. Commenting out these blocks solves the DER encoding mismatch but the verification still fails because the computed digest is different from the recovered one.

I will continue my investigation to find all the culprits.
Meanwhile, the question remains why in the first place the removal of the leading zero from the parsed DER encoding was added since this clearly have the side effect of making the computed DER different from the original one.

Cheers,
--
Mounir IDRASSI
IDRIX