On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 10:37:55AM -0400, Jeff Saremi wrote:

>  Does BIO support 64 bit IO (large files)? If so would the rest of
> OpenSSL (such as the ssl itself) support those BIOs?
> I configured the build with 64bit support and didn't see any noticeable
> changes.
> Specifically, I'd like to know if BIO_tell() is able to return a 64bit
> value?

No, BIO_tell() is a macro:

    include/openssl/bio.h:
        #define BIO_tell(b)       (int)BIO_ctrl(b,BIO_C_FILE_TELL,0,NULL)

The (int) cast means that the result is never larger than INT_MAX.

If the library is compiled on a machine with 64-bit longs, then
the underlying BIO_ctrl() will return the value from lseek() or
ftell() cast to a (long). This does not imply that 64-bit files
will not break in some other way.

--
        Viktor.