Ciao.

I use MinGW to build OpenSSL and it has always worked very well.

Steps: a)  perl Configure mingw shared enable-capieng --prefix=/mingw
--openssldir=C:/OpenSSL

          b) make

After a while, you'll have openssl.exe and a couple of DLLs. At this stage,
you'll be able to access Windows Certificate store.

If you're using Windows boxes, I can send you my copy of OpenSSL for you to
test.

I hope it helps.

Sergio.