I've received a number of queries about the reference in the recently
released OpenSSL 1.0.1 to "Preliminary FIPS capability for unvalidated
2.0 FIPS module".

OpenSSL 1.0.1 is designed to support use of that FIPS 140-2
cryptographic module to provide a "FIPS compatible" API. However, the
formal validation of that module is still pending. We think we are very
close -- perhaps within a few days -- but as always the timeline is
difficult to predict with any certainty.

The formal validation will be announced here as soon as it happens.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.