* Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> [2012-08-15 17:31]:
> Every OpenSSL example I have seen uses BIO, but there is no need to use
> BIO, right (unless one wants I/O-type-independence).

That's right, though the socket BIO methods also abstract away quite a
few obscure platform specifics.

> I have eliminated all of my BIO usage. I'm using normal TCP/IP bind(),
> select(), accept(), and then SSL_set_fd(ssl, socket) and SSL_accept(); I
> then use SSL_read() to read data on the session. It seems to be working
> (with some loose ends, but I am getting farther than before).
>
> Is there anything wrong with this approach?

No.  However, SSL_set_fd() automatically creates a socket BIO, so you
don't save an abstraction layer by setting up the socket manually.

> What about the select? Is there some sort of BIO_select()?

There's no such thing, but you could retrieve the underlying socket
descriptor with BIO_get_fd() and call select() on that.

Holger