If you're referring to the C API, I would not depend upon binary compatibility. There are sometimes subtle changes that will cause failures in corner cases that you won't discover unless your regression tests are really good.

Insight:  Recompile for each openssl update, even for a letter change.

On 9/6/2012 11:49 AM, Hasan, Rezaul (NSN - US/Arlington Heights) wrote:
Hello All,

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated… J

*From:*Hasan, Rezaul (NSN - US/Arlington Heights)
*Sent:* Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:04 AM
*To:* 'openssl-users@openssl.org'
*Subject:* Is openssl 0.9.8r and openssl1.0.0 compatible ?

Hi All,

We have a Linux box1 (*Client*) that has openssl *0.9.8r*.   That box
communicates with a different kind of Linux box2 (*Server*) that has
openssl 1.0.0e.

openssl0.9.8r  and  openssl1.0.0e  seem fairly happy together.

In the near future our 2^nd Linux box is migrating to a new Platform, as
a result, it will have  openssl1.0.0.

My question is: Should I anticipate any incompatibilities between those
two versions of openssl (0.9.8r  -and-  1.0.0)?

Out of curiosity, what version(s) of   openssl1.0.X.Y   are most
compatible (functionality-wise)  with the  openssl0.9.8r  version ?

Thanks a bunch.