On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Jakob Bohm <jb-open...@wisemo.com> wrote:
> (continuing TOFU posting to keep the thread somewhat consistent)
>
> Given some of the mathematical restrictions on parameters needed to
> keep DSA and ECDSA safe from attackers, I don't think using the same
> private key for ECDSA and ECDH is a good/safe idea.
>
> However I am not a genius cryptanalyst, so I cannot guarantee that
> this is really dangerous, it is just a somewhat educated guess.
Not at all - its good advice. Its called Key Separation, and its
covered in the Handbook of Applied Cryptography (HAC), Chapter 13. I
usually see folks trying to use the same key for signing and
encryption. This is a slight twist in that they want to do signing and
agreement.

The HAC is available for free online at http://cacr.uwaterloo.ca/hac/.

Jeff