> WORKING EXAMPLES would be REAL cool.
You kind of have it with the source code to openssl.exe.

Crypto++ had the same way back when (its a C++ crypto library, and its
not nearly as popular as OpenSSL). Users did not check cryptest.exe
for API usage (cryptest.exe is the equivalent of openssl.exe). In
addition, it was terse C++ code and hard to understand.

We fixed most of the "How do I" questions by adding a wiki and
providing code examples. It drastically reduced the number of
questions. When there is a question on basic usage, I just provide a
link to the wiki. For example: http://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/3des,
http://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/Cbc_Mode and
http://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/Rsa.

As Wei Dai (the author of Crypto++) answers design questions or
questions that require insight, I make sure it goes in the wiki for
those who RTFM. For example at
http://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/Elliptic_Curve_Cryptography: "Taking from
Wei Dai on the Crypto++ mailing list: To minimize the size of public
and private keys, what you need to do is encode only the private
exponent of the private key, and the public point of the public key."
We then provide a code sample.

The wiki started out bad - it was sloppy and incomplete. Over time,
the crowd converged on the right answer. Its a property of the crowd.

Jeff