On 03/08/2013 05:00 AM, Jakob Bohm wrote:
> On 3/8/2013 10:34 AM, Abhijit Ray Chaudhury wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to cross compile FIPS compliant openssl module
>> (openssl-fips-ecp-2.0.2.tar.gz) for linux armv4 pratform :

>> Please let me know how to pass CFLAGS to the build system or how to
>> resolve above problems.
>>
> I don't think you can change the CFLAGS without having to go through the
> entire many-thousand-dollars-and-lots-of-time official validation
> process again.

As with so much of FIPS 140-2 that's a grey area. We sometimes set
CFLAGS (or the moral equivalent) in the build environment for the formal
Operational Environment testing, e.g.:

http://opensslfoundation.com/testing/validation-2.0/platforms/ios/setenv-ios.sh

So you could "user affirm" per the provisions of section G.5 of the
Implementation Guidance:

  http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/fips140-2/FIPS1402IG.pdf.

On 03/08/2013 05:20 AM, Abhijit Ray Chaudhury wrote:>

> Is it valid FIPS compliant procedure, if I create a shell script
> naming gcc , which calls the cross compiler passing additional flags ?

Same issue.

One reason the 2.0 FIPS module (validation certificate #1747) has so
many platforms (over 60 now, a record for any validation) is that the
sponsors of some of those platforms weren't comfortable with I.G. G.5
user affirmation. So they chose to have their platform(s) of interest
formally tested. We are also currently working on another dozen some
platforms. Jakob is right about the cost, at least in absolute terms;
figure about US$15K and 8-12 weeks.  That's expensive compared to free
but in relative terms a bargain compared to the commercial alternatives.

In some cases user affirmation isn't possible. That happens when the
processor architecture and corresponding "code path" hasn't been
formally tested at all. Linux on MIPS, for instance. As the number of
formally tested platforms grows those gaps shrink.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.