Hello kapetr,

I have successfully time-stamped with TSA server
"https://www.postsignum.cz/DEMOTSA/TSS_user/"; (u: demoTSA, p: demoTSA2010),
using 2 Time-stamp clients:
1. Adobe Reader 10.1.3
2. Serbian Post Time-stamp client:
http://www.ca.posta.rs/download/Time-Stamp%20klijent%20aplikacija%20Poste%20v1.2.zip

PostSignum TSA server is Thales (nCipher). Thales (nCipher) time stamp
server can be configured to choose three locations where TAC (Time Attribute
Certificate) V2 attribute certificate will be stored:

1. CertificateChoices1 with ESSCertID (compatibility mode)

The Time Attribute Certificate is encoded in the CHOICE [1] field in the
CertificateChoices and the SHA-1 hash of the TAC is stored in the ESSCertID.

2. CertificateChoices2 with ESSCertID (RFC3369 & 3852)

This option puts the Time Attribute certificate into the CHOICE [2] field in
the CertificateChoices and sets the CMS version of the Time Stamp Token to 4
(because a V2 attribute certificate is present).

Note: Adobe Acrobat time-stamping support rejects CMS V4 as a bad version
number. If you are using Adobe Acrobat time-stamping, Thales recommend
continuing to use an older option that is Acrobat-compatible until a fix
from Adobe is made available.

3. SignerAttribute (RFC3126 & ETSI)

This option puts the entire TAC into a signed attribute. In this case, the
hash of the TAC is not included in the ESSCertID because it would be
redundant and RFC3126 requires it not to be present. This option also adds
the SigningTime signed attribute (redundant but required by the RFC) and the
SignaturePolicyId signed attribute. The policy is NULL because a time-stamp
token already must include a PolicyID in the TSTInfo.

My conclusion is that PostSignum TSA server is configured with the first of
the above options "1. CertificateChoices1 with ESSCertID (compatibility
mode)". When Thales (nCipher) time-stamp server is configured that way,
OpenSSL is unable to read TSA response. For example:
C:\Program Files\OpenSSL-Win32\bin>openssl ts -reply -in
postsignum-Response.tsr
 -text
Using configuration from C:\Program Files\OpenSSL-Win32\bin\openssl.cfg
608:error:0D0680A8:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_CHECK_TLEN:wrong
tag:.\crypto\asn
1\tasn_dec.c:1320:
608:error:0D07803A:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_ITEM_EX_D2I:nested asn1
error:.\c
rypto\asn1\tasn_dec.c:382:Type=X509
608:error:0D08303A:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_TEMPLATE_NOEXP_D2I:nested
asn1 er
ror:.\crypto\asn1\tasn_dec.c:712:Field=cert, Type=PKCS7_SIGNED
608:error:0D08303A:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_TEMPLATE_NOEXP_D2I:nested
asn1 er
ror:.\crypto\asn1\tasn_dec.c:752:
608:error:0D08403A:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_TEMPLATE_EX_D2I:nested asn1
error
:.\crypto\asn1\tasn_dec.c:580:Field=d.sign, Type=PKCS7
608:error:0D08303A:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_TEMPLATE_NOEXP_D2I:nested
asn1 er
ror:.\crypto\asn1\tasn_dec.c:752:Field=token, Type=TS_RESP

C:\Program Files\OpenSSL-Win32\bin>

Administrator of PostSignum TSA can solve the problem with OpenSSL in 2
ways:
1. To configure TAC: "3. SignerAttribute (RFC3126 & ETSI)", or
2. Exclude TAC from certificate list. He can use this option to support
time-stamp client software that cannot decode the TAC. This option is
required if you must support SUN jarsigner. SUN Jarsigner cannot decode the
TAC and cannot support time-stamp tokens that include the TAC in the
certificate list.

Useful link:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pkix/current/msg14787.html

Dragan