I have been working through the tutorial at
http://pki-tutorial.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

There are a number of things that aren't clear.

1) Am I right in assuming that the various commands in that tutorial
can be performed as an ordinary user in a working directory in that
user's home directory?  Or do they have to be done as user root in
/etc/ssl?  Or does that depend on the command?  If the right answer is
the latter, can you tell me which can be performed by a mere mortal
and which ought to be done as root in /etc/ssl?

2) One frustration is that the sample config files have neither
comment nor even a listing of possible valid values to enter, now what
the values provided mean.  Am I right in guessing, from some of the
examples, that the same client side certificate can be used both for
email and for client authorization?  If the recipient of a client side
certificate is not part of an organization (that the CA cares about),
can one enter the client's complete mailing address and phone numebrs,
and if so how?  Also, while I am not interested in code signing, I am
interested in document signing, ideally including both server and
client signing a given document that has been presented in the
client's browser (the client being permitted at that stage only to
accept and sign, or to decline, a document already signed by the
server.  Can both the server's certificate/key, and the client's
certificate/key (this is not yet clear in my mind, but I half suspect
it must be the key associated with the certificate that must be used
for signing, but the certificate to verify identity) serve both the
requirement to verify each party's identity and to sign a document (to
provide non-repudiation functionality and to assure both parties tht
the document has not been altered once each has signed?  Some guidance
on this, or a web tutorial on this specific topic would be greatly
appreciated.

3) A big one for me is that there is brief mention of registration
authorities, and that they may be different from the CA or the CA may
be the CA, but there is no information provided as to how or where the
registration authority information can be included in the
certificates.  The particular configuration I am looking to try
involves a root CA, a non-root CA, and then multiple registration
authorities.  Part of the idea, here, is that the entities I envision
making registration authorities already do the due diligence required
to verify the identities of both server entities and client entities,
so it ought to be trivial to add the support for server and client
certificates on top of that with modest incremental cost (NB: these
guys have to verify identities as part of the due diligence they must
do anyway in support of their primary business activity).  Some
guidance on this, or a web tutorial on this specific topic would be
greatly appreciated.  One thing I am certain of is that there already
exists a trust relationship among the entities I hope to make
registration authorities, so the identity of the registration
authorities ought not impinge on the acceptability of the certificates
produced based on the results of the work done by any of them.  But
how that would work in the context of creating the CAs I need I do not
know.

Any guidance on these specific questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ted