Hello Ted,

In our application we have requirement to introduce new option which allows
customers to renew their certificates which was installed in it already.

We would like to find out whether the new certificate is really a renewal
certificate of old one so that we can allow them to replace the old one
with new one.

So to find out the match we decided to use fields (Issuer Or subject) And
Serial number. But when I used openssl to create renew certificate as in
the steps I mentioned already I see that the subject can be altered and
serial number is different.

>From your mail I understand that other than public key, any field can be
different or same based on the CA that customer uses. We have many
customers across globe and they get their certificates signed and renewed
by many CA in market.

So my conclusion, is its up to us to decide now on choosing match fields.
Let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks
Kamalraj