The format for an ECDSA or DSA signature is an ASN.1 SEQUENCE of two INTEGERs.
I'm practice I've always seen DER, but I don't know if that's required; the two
reasons
that commonly require DER (hashed and byte-compared) don't apply.

> Just to confirm - whether it's ECDSA or RSA, for verification, we just get
> the EVP_PKEY data structure filled with
> the public key correctly and call in a sequence ending up with a call to
> EVP_VerifyFinal. Is that correct?

Either the old way with EVP_Verify{Init,Update,Final} and the key on the Final,
or the new way with EVP_DigestVerify{Init,Update,Final} and the key on the Init.
But either way independent of the keytype = PKalgorithm.