The reason is "legacy". Eric Young was not conscious of namespace pollution
when he implemented SSLeay; since then, even after the migration to the OpenSSL
name and team, the focus has been more on maintaining source compatibility than
in creating new interoperability opportunities.

To meet the goal of interoperability while enabling an alternate symbolic
namespace, what would you suggest?

-Kyle H