I think it's safe to assume that 3DES is almost certainly a lousier choice
than AES or Camellia on multiple fronts.

Two key triple DES provides about 80-bits of security, and three key triple
DES provides 112-bits of security. Do you know which they are using?
AES-128 provides about 128-bits of security; and AES-256 provides about
256-bits of security.

If it was a new system, you probably would chose AES or Camellia. If they
are using three key triple DES with 112-bits of security, then there
shouldn't be any loud objections.

At those security levels, the adversary is not going to attack the block
cipher. They are going to attack the password or some other [weak] part in
the system.

Jeff