On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM, Salz, Rich <rs...@akamai.com> wrote:
> We are considering changing the default keysize (RSA, DSA, DH) from 1K to
> 2K, and changing the default signing digest from SHA-1 to SHA-256.

No complaints from me for 1K or 2K, but...

$ cd openssl-1.0.1i
$ grep -R 512 * | grep -v -i sha
apps/dhparam.c:#define DEFBITS    512
apps/enc.c:#define SIZE    (512)
apps/gendh.c:#define DEFBITS    512
apps/gendsa.c:#define DEFBITS    512
apps/req.c:#define DEFAULT_KEY_LENGTH    512

*****

The change of the default hash could be painful because its currently
hard coded in some places. It may (or may not) effect signing
behavior. The potential problem is down level clients may not be able
to interop because they can't make a selection. (I encountered it some
time ago, but I don't have a reference because I don't recall the
details).

Jeff