Argh! private key does NOT necessarily mean legacy-format encrypted.
If you need encrypted PEM private key (and that remains a separate question)
you can use PKCS#8 PEM private key with any width base64 up to 76.
On general principles PKCS#8 is preferably to legacy anyway; it's more
standard/interoperatble, more flexible, the encryption is better.