On Thu, Nov 20, 2014, Salz, Rich wrote:

> > If, I want to use my own  algorithm instead of rsa or sha1 in the  digital
> > certificates,  is it possible ?
> > if yes then how ?
>
> I thought I answered this.  It is hard work, it is not documented, you're on
> your own.

I agree with the "hard work" opinion ;-)

This can be done and one ENGINE for gost does in fact implement new public key
algorithms which aren't part of OpenSSL.

In outline you do something like this...

1. Write ASN.1 modules for public key and private key formats and (if
relevant) parameters. Write translation functions to convert from ASN.1 to
and from EVP_PKEY structures. Optionally include printing functions. Make
an EVP_PKEY_ASN1_METHOD based on these.

2. Write cryptographic functions to generate parameters (if required), private
keys, sign and verify. Adding appropriate controls and string based controls
will make the algorith usable from the openssl utility. Wrap the lot in an
EVP_PKEY_METHOD.

3. Place the two methods in a ENGINE so it loads and registers them.

4. Test extensively using the pkey, pkeyutl, genpkey and pkeyparam utilities.

Steve.