Also consider using the functions that the "openssl verify"
command uses (source file: apps/verify.c), perhaps from a
bulk process that can be run on each CPU node on your
compute cluster.  With a little thought, these can be done
efficiently, with lots of reused (i.e. not repeated) actions,
such as setting up parameters, loading known CA and intermediary
certs, opening files that contain multiple certs, etc.