On 27/06/17 01:05, Neetish Pathak wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> 1) I am working with a client and server program and want to use
> ECDHE-ECDSA type ciphers.
> I see that default Elliptic curve group supported is X25519. (when I
> check client  and server logs on wireshark)
> I wish to generate a self-signed certificate for X25519 curve. But I am
> unable to do that the way I do for other curves like secp256r1,
> secp521r1 etc.
>
> I generate a private key for secp521r1 using ecparam command and  then I
> generate the self-signed certificate.
>
> openssl ecparam -name secp521r1 -genkey -param_enc named_curve -out
> server_key.pem
>
> openssl req -new -x509 -key server_key.pem -out server_cert.pem -days 730
>

> On man page for X25519,
>
> I found the command to generate private key
>
> openssl genpkey -algorithm X25519 -out xkey.pem
>
> But as I try to generate a self signed certificate, I am getting the
> following error
>
> EVP_PKEY_sign_init:operation not supported for this keytype

It is not possible to "self-sign" an X25519 certificate because X25519
is a key-exchange algorithm only, not a digital signature algorithm. You
would not typically create an X25519 certificate at all but an Ed25519
one (only supported in the master branch).

> Could you please clarify where am I going wrong. Also, why is X25519 not
> mentioned
>
> in ec curve list
>
> using openssl ecparam -list_curves

X25519 is different. "Standard" EC keys can be used for ECDH or ECDSA.
X25519 keys are for X25519 only (similar to ECDH). Internally X25519 is
treated as a standalone algorithm and not integrated into the rest of
the EC logic.

> Any references to clarify my understanding will be appreciated.
>
> 2) Also, can you direct me towards what hack is needed in Openssl to
> support pre-generated PSK in TLS 1.3 and false start in TLS 1.2 (for my
> study purpose).

For external PSKs in TLS1.3 (again only supported in master), you need
to use the new
SSL_CTX_set_psk_use_session_callback()/SSL_CTX_set_psk_find_session_callback()
APIs. See the man pages in master for this (for some reason I notice
that the documentation for this has not been updated on the website -
but it *is* in the doc/man3 folder in git).

> Are you planning to integrate false start in OpenSSL any time. Thanks

I am not aware of anyone working on this.

Matt