> My number one complaint is that it seems like the defaults are generally set
> up to do the wrong things, and the application has to either explicitly set
> "yes, you should be secure" options or do stuff on its own.  This seems to
> have been getting better - gaining hostname validation, for instance - but
> really a client should be able to say "give me a secure connection to
> host:port" and have sensible and secure things happen with a single call.
> Maybe two, one to create a handle and the other to actually set up the
> connection (to allow for intervening calls that customize the connection).

I agree with you, but a problem is that “safe and secure” changes over time
when new  crypto and other new features are added. And then users get upset
when their connections no longer work.

I think the right approach is to be able to specify a policy, then at least you
know what you’re signing up for. Right now it’s a collection of low-level
things.  And the policy is “SECLEVEL” which ain’t great.