OpenStack,

OpenStack has emerged as the preferred choice for open cloud software
worldwide. We use it to power our cloud, and we love it. We’re proud to be a
part of growing its capabilities to address more needs every day. When we ask
customers, partners, and community members about what problems they want to
solve next, we have consistently found a few areas where OpenStack has room to
grow in addressing the needs of software developers:

1)   Ease of application development and deployment via integrated support for
Git, CI/CD, and IDEs

2)   Ease of application lifecycle management across dev, test, and production
types of environments -- supported by the Heat project’s automated
orchestration (resource deployment, monitoring-based self-healing,
auto-scaling, etc.)

3)   Ease of application portability between public and private clouds -- with
no vendor-driven requirements within the application stack or control system

Along with eBay, RedHat, Ubuntu/Canonical, dotCloud/Docker, Cloudsoft, and
Cumulogic, we at Rackspace are happy to announce we have started project Solum
as an OpenStack Related open source project. Solum is a community-driven
initiative currently in its open design phase amongst the seven contributing
companies with more to come.

We plan to leverage the capabilities already offered in OpenStack in addressing
these needs so anyone running an OpenStack cloud can make it easier to use for
developers. By leveraging your existing OpenStack cloud, the aim of Project
Solum is to reduce the number of services you need to manage in tackling these
developer needs. You can use all the OpenStack services you already run instead
of standing up overlapping, vendor-specific capabilities to accomplish this.

We welcome you to join us to build this exciting new addition to the OpenStack
ecosystem.

Project Wiki
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Solum

Lauchpad Project
https://launchpad.net/solum

IRC
Public IRC meetings are held on Tuesdays 1600 UTC
irc://irc.freenode.net:6667/solum

Thanks,

Adrian Otto