On 08/01/2018 07:44 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
Excerpts from Andrey Kurilin's message of 2018-08-01 15:21:37 +0300:
ср, 1 авг. 2018 г. в 14:11, Dmitry Tantsur <dtant...@redhat.com>:

On 08/01/2018 12:49 PM, Andrey Kurilin wrote:
Hey Ian and stackers!

ср, 1 авг. 2018 г. в 8:45, Ian Wienand <iwien...@redhat.com
<mailto:iwien...@redhat.com>>:

     Hello,

     It seems freenode is currently receiving a lot of unsolicited traffic
     across all channels.  The freenode team are aware [1] and doing their
     best.

     There are not really a lot of options.  We can set "+r" on channels
     which means only nickserv registered users can join channels.  We
have
     traditionally avoided this, because it is yet one more barrier to
     communication when many are already unfamiliar with IRC access.
     However, having channels filled with irrelevant messages is also not
     very accessible.

     This is temporarily enabled in #openstack-infra for the time being,
so
     we can co-ordinate without interruption.

     Thankfully AFAIK we have not needed an abuse policy on this before;
     but I guess we are the point we need some sort of coordinated
     response.

     I'd suggest to start, people with an interest in a channel can
request
     +r from an IRC admin in #openstack-infra and we track it at [2]

     Longer term ... suggestions welcome? :)

Move to Slack? We can provide auto-sending to emails invitations for
joining by
clicking the button on some page at openstack.org <http://openstack.org>.
It
will not add more berrier for new contributors and, at the same time,
this way
will give some base filtering by emails at least.

A few potential barriers with slack or similar solutions: lack of FOSS
desktop
clients (correct me if I'm wrong),

The second link from google search gives an opensource client written in
python https://github.com/raelgc/scudcloud . Also, there is something which
is written in golang.

complete lack of any console clients (ditto),

Again, google gives several ones as first results -
https://github.com/evanyeung/terminal-slack
https://github.com/erroneousboat/slack-term

serious limits on free (as in beer) tariff plans.

I can make an assumption that for marketing reasons, Slack Inc can propose
extended Free plan.
But anyway, even with default one the only thing which can limit us is
`10,000 searchable messages` which is bigger than 0 (freenode doesn't store
messages).

Why I like slack? because a lot of people are familar with it (a lot of
companies use it as like some opensource communities, like k8s )

PS: I realize that OpenStack Community will never go away from Freenode and
IRC, but I do not want to stay silent.

We are unlikely to select slack because the platform itself is
proprietary, even if there are OSS clients. That said, there have
been some discussions about platforms such as Matrix, which is
similar to slack and also OSS.

I think the main thing that is blocking any such move right now is
the fact that we're lacking someone with time to evaluate the tool
to see what it would take for us to run it. If you're interested in
this, maybe you can work with the infrastructure team to plan and
implement that evaluation?

In Vancouver I signed up to work on this - but so far it has been lower in priority than other tasks. I'll circle around with people today and see what we think about relative priorities.

That said - Doug's invitation is quite valid - help would be welcome and I'd be happy to connect with someone who has time to help with this.