Excerpts from Chris Friesen's message of 2018-09-12 16:52:16 -0600:
> On 9/12/2018 12:04 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
> >> This came up in a Vancouver summit session (the python3 one I think).
> >> General consensus there seemed to be that we should have grenade jobs that
> >> run python2 on the old side and python3 on the new side and test the
> >> update from one to another through a release that way. Additionally there
> >> was thought that the nova partial job (and similar grenade jobs) could
> >> hold the non upgraded node on python2 and that would talk to a python3
> >> control plane.
> >>
> >> I haven't seen or heard of anyone working on this yet though.
> >>
> >> Clark
> >>

> > IIRC, we also talked about not supporting multiple versions of
> > python on a given node, so all of the services on a node would need
> > to be upgraded together.
>
> As I understand it, the various services talk to each other using
> over-the-wire protocols.  Assuming this is correct, why would we need to
> ensure they are using the same python version?
>
> Chris

It's more a matter of trying to describe what test scenarios we
would run.  In this case we were saying that we're not going to try
to spend the effort upstream to test a mixed configuration on a
single node. Someone downstream might choose to do that, but we
didn't see value in it for the community to try to do it upstream.

Doug