On 08/01/14 17:13 -0800, Nachi Ueno wrote:
Hi folks

OpenStack process tend to have many config options, and many hosts.
It is a pain to manage this tons of config options.
To centralize this management helps operation.

We can use chef or puppet kind of tools, however
sometimes each process depends on the other processes configuration.
For example, nova depends on neutron configuration etc

My idea is to have config server in oslo.config, and let cfg.CONF get
config from the server.
This way has several benefits.

- We can get centralized management without modification on each
projects ( nova, neutron, etc)
- We can provide horizon for configuration

This is bp for this proposal.
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/oslo/+spec/oslo-config-centralized

I'm very appreciate any comments on this.

I've thought about this as well. I like the overall idea of having a
config server. However, I don't like the idea of having it within
oslo.config. I'd prefer oslo.config to remain a library.

Also, I think it would be more complex than just having a server that
provides the configs. It'll need authentication like all other
services in OpenStack and perhaps even support of encryption.

I like the idea of a config registry but as mentioned above, IMHO it's
to live under its own project.

That's all I've got for now,
FF

--