As many of you surely noticed, we had some significant significant
gate issues in the last day. It's fixed now, and I've got the details below.

The root cause of the issue was a lack of proper testing in python-
swiftclient. We've made some improvements here in the last few hours,
but improving this will be a longer-term effort (and one that is being
prioritized).

Here's what happened: In order to get support for TLS certificate
validation, swiftclient was ported to use the Python requests library.
This is a good change, overall, but it was merged with a bug where the
object data was uploaded as a multipart/form-data instead of as the
raw data itself. This issue was resolved with patch
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/73585/. The gate is currently stable,
everyone should be unblocked by this issue now. If you have a patch
that failed a check or gate run, you should recheck/reverify with bug
#1280072.

This, of course, raises the question of how this was allowed to
happen. First, there is a lack of functional testing in swiftclient
itself. (And, mea culpa, I should have done better testing before I
merged the initial breaking patch.) These tests are being prioritized
and worked on now.

Second, python-swiftclient did not have a symmetric gate with the
other projects that depend upon it. Although the gate change to make
this happen was proposed quite a while ago, it wasn't merged until
just this morning (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/70378/). Having
these tests earlier should have caught the issues in the original
python-swiftclient patch. Now that it has landed, there is much less
risk of such a problem happening again.

I want to thank Jeremy Stanley on the infra team for helping getting
these patches landed quickly. I'd also like to thank Tristan Cacqueray
for helping get the fixes written for python-swiftclient.

--John