On 03/19/2014 02:00 AM, Stan Lagun wrote:
Steven,

Agree with your opinion on HOT expansion. I see that inclusion of imperative workflows and ALM would require major Heat redesign and probably would be impossible without loosing compatibility with previous HOT syntax. It would blur Heat mission, confuse current users and rise a lot of questions what should and what should not be in Heat. Thats why we chose to built a system on top of Heat rather then expending HOT.

+1

Now I would like to clarify why have we chosen imperative approach with DSL.

You see a DSL as an alternative to HOT but it is not. DSL is alternative to Python-encoded

Not accurate. I see a HOT as one type of DSL. I see the MuranoPL as an imperative language which is not a DSL. It may have domain specific aspects, but it is more general purpose in nature.

resources in Heat (heat/engine/resources/*.py). Imagine how Heat would look like if you let untrusted users to upload Python plugins to Heat engine and load them on the fly. Heat resources are written in Python which is imperative language. So that MuranoPL for the same reason.

agree this is bad idea.

We want application authors to be able to express application deployment and maintenance logic of any complexity. This may involve communication with 3rd party REST services (APIs of applications being deployed, external services like DNS server API, application licensing server API, billing systems, some hardware component APIs etc) and internal OpenStack services like Trove, Sahara, Marconi and others including those that are not incubated yet and those to come in the future. You cannot have such things in HOT and when you required to you need to develop custom resource in Python. Independence on custom plugins is not good for Murano because they cannot be uploaded by end users and thus he cannot write application definition that can be imported to/run on any cloud and need to convince cloud administrator to install his Python plugin (something that is unimaginable in real life).

I understand. I am not critical of imperative approach for implementing workflow/ALM. I believe it is mandatory. I hold no opinion on MuranoPL specifically.

Because DSL is a way to write custom resources (in Heats terminology) it has to be Turing-complete and have all the characteristics of general-purpose language. It also has to have domain-specific features because we cannot expect that DSL users would be as skilled as Heat developers and could write such resources without knowledge on hosting engine architecture and internals.

I understand your point of view, but DSLs are declarative in nature. I think the problem is that the terminology being used is incorrect as computer science has defined it :) Just because MuranoPL has custom stuff for interacting with custom resources, doesn't mean its a DSL. I can draw a parallel between implementing arbitrary length integers in a general purpose imperative language. Said feature is not a DSL, it is a language feature.

What is being discussed in the context of murano is a language feature, rather then a DSL.

HOT DSL is declarative because all the imperative stuff is hardcoded into Heat engine. Thus all is left for HOT is to define "state of the world" - desired outcome. That is analogous to Object Model in Murano (see [1]). It is Object Model that can be compared to HOT, not DSL. As you can see it not more complex than HOT. Object Model is what end-user produces in Murano. And he event don't need to write it cause it can be composed in UI.

cool
Now because DSL provides not only a way to write sandboxed isolated code but also a lot of declarations (classes, properties, parameters, inheritance and contracts) that are mostly not present in Python we don't need Parameters or Output sections in Object Model because all of this can be inferred from resource (classes) DSL declaration. Another consequence is that most of the things that can be written wrong in HOT can be verified on client side by validating classes' contracts without trying to deploy the stack and then go through error log debugging. Because all resources' attributes types their constraints are known in advance (note that resource attribute may be a reference to another resource with constraints on that reference like "I want any (regular, Galera etc) MySQL implementation") UI knows how to correctly compose the environment and can point out your mistakes at design time. This is similar to how statically typed languages like C++/Java can do a lot of validation at compile time rather then in runtime as in Python.

Personally I would love to see many of this features in HOT. What is your vision on this? What of the mentioned above can be contributed to Heat? We definitely would like to integrate more with HOT and eliminate all duplications between projects. I think that Murano and Heat are complimentary products that can effectively coexist. Murano provides access to all HOT features and relies on Heat for most of its activities. I believe that we need to find an optimal way to integrate Heat, Murano, Mistral, Solum, Heater, TOSCA, do some integration between ex-Thermal and Murano Dashboard, be united regarding Glance usage for metadata and so on. We are okay with throwing MuranoPL out if the issues it solves would be addressed by HOT.

I am not a fan of language features such as inheritance, classes, properties, etc. I get that for a really general purpose language like python they are useful. Python has a multi-year learning curve before writing really "pythonic" code. Hot has a few day learning curve before writing really "hotonic" code :)

If you have a vision on how HOT can address the same domain MuranoPL does or any plans for such features in upcoming Heat releases I would ask you to share it.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Murano/DSL/Blueprint#Object_model

I don't think HOT can do these things and I don't think we want HOT to do these things. I am ok with that, since I don't see the pushback on having two languages for two different things in OpenStack. I got from gokrove on iRC today that the rationale for the pushback was the TC wanted Murano folks to explore how to integrate better with Heat and possibly the orchestration program. I don't see HOT as a place where there is an opportunity for scope expansion. I see instead Murano creating HOT blobs and feeding them to Heat.

Regards
-steve