So my biggest fear with a model where each team had their own full
Nova tree and did large pull requests, is that we'd suffer major
pain during the merging of large pull requests, especially if any
of the merges touched common code. It could make the pull requests
take a really long time to get accepted into the primary repo.

By constrast with split out git repos per virt driver code, we will
only ever have 1 stage of code review for each patch. Changes to
common code would go straight to main nova common repo and so get
reviewed by the experts there without delay, avoiding the 2nd stage
of review from merge requests.

Why treat things differently? It seems to me that even in the first scenario you could still send common code changes straight to the main nova repo. Then the pulls from the virt repo would literally only touch the virt code in the common repo.

Chris