On 31 March 2015 at 22:05, joehuang <joehu...@huawei.com> wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> During the last cross project meeting[1][2] for the next step of OpenStack
> cascading solution[3], the conclusion of the meeting is "OpenStack isn't
> ready for the project, and if he want's it ready sooner than later, joehuang
> needs to help make it ready by working on scaling being coded now", and the
> scaling is on the first priority for OpenStack community.
>
> We just finished the 1 million VMs semi-simulation test report[4] for
> OpenStack cascading solution, the most interesting findings during the test
> is, the cascading architecture can support million level ports in Neutron,
> and also million level VMs in Nova. And the test report also shows that
> OpenStack cascading solution can manage up to 100k physical hosts without
> challenge. Some scaling issues were found during the test and listed in the
> report.
>
> The conclusion of the report is:
> "According to the Phase I and Phase II test data analysis, due to the
> hardware resources limitation, the OpenStack cascading solution with current
> configuration can supports a maximum of 1 million virtual machines and is
> capable of handling 500 concurrent API request if L3 (DVR) mode is included
> or, 1000 concurrent API request if only L2 networking needed. It's up to
> deployment policy to use OpenStack cascading solution inside one site ( one
> data center) or multi-sites (multi-data centers), the maximal sites (data
> centers) supported are 100, i.e., 100 cascaded OpenStack instances."
>
> The test report is shared first, let's discuss the next step later.

Wow thats beautiful stuff.

The next time someone does a report like this, I'd like to suggest
some extra metrics to capture.
API failure rate: what % of API errors occur.
VM failure rate: what % of operations lead to a failed VM (e.g. not
deleted on delete, or not started on create, or didn't boot correctly)
block device failure rate similarly.

Looking in your results, I observe significant load in the
steady-state mode for most of the DB's. Thats a little worrying, if as
I assume steady-state means 'no new API calls being made'.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcoll...@hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist